If you’re looking answer for the following:
- How to deploy Azure API Management to multiple regions?
- How to setup Azure API management multi region with internal VNET configuration
- How to configure Azure API management with Application Gateway
You’re in the right place.
Azure components needed:
- 2 Traffic manager profiles. 1 for portal, 1 for gateway
- Application Gateway + WAF v2 (per region)
- Pubic IP Address for Application Gateway (per region)
- Certificates for portal and gateway
- DNS for portal and gateway
- Azure API Management Premium using Internal VNET configuration
- Virtual Network (per region)
- IP Address ranges (per VNET) this should be properly allocated to avoid conflict when joining this to internal network.
- Provision Azure API Management Premium instance.
Steps (below needs to be repeated for every region):
- Create VNET with 2 subnets. 1 for Application Gateway (AG) and 1 for APIM.
- Create public IP address (static)
- Follow instructions in using API management in internal configuration with application gateway (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/api-management/api-management-howto-integrate-internal-vnet-appgateway)
- Configure the APIM Gateway Traffic manager to have an endpoint pointed the static public IP address of application gateway.
How traffic works with reference to Andrews post: